Radon is a cancer-causing, radioactive gas that naturally occurs when soil breaks down.
Radon gas seeps through foundation walls and private water wells. It’s the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers. If you live in or around Green Bay, Fond du Lac, Kaukauna, Neenah-Menasha or Appleton, you need to know what the Surgeon General has to say about the importance of Radon removal systems and testing.
The U.S. Surgeon issued this General Health Advisory in January 2005:
“Indoor Radon gas is the second-leading cause of lung cancer in the United States and breathing it over prolonged periods can present a significant health risk to families all over the country. It’s important to know that this threat is completely preventable. Radon can be detected with a simple test and fixed through well-established venting techniques.”
- Radon decay products can only enter your body by breathing.
- The damage is done over an extended period of time.
- Radon cannot be seen and doesn’t have any odor.
- Radon can easily be eliminated from your home.
- Get your home tested if you do not know its Radon level.
- The EPA and Surgeon General recommend having your home tested.
- Select a Radon mitigation contractor that has the proper training and certification.
Radon comes from the natural break down of Uranium in the soil.
As Uranium breaks down into other elements, it eventually becomes Radon gas, which enters the home through the slab, basement, crawl space or private well water. Radon gas breaks down and gives off a small Alpha radiation particle that can be inhaled or ingested. When this particle lands on your lungs and decays or if your stomach lining is exposed to it, there is a small amount of damage done. If this continues over an extended period of time, it can eventually do great harm. Learn more about Radon in your water here.
This is why the EPA suggests that you get your Radon level tested.