The system below was installed by a certified company out of Fond du Lac. This home is in Beaver Dam. The customer told me that the installing company would not come back and fix their system unless they were willing to pay more money. What a shame.
Another huge problem is to vent an active Radon system at ground level or less than 10-feet from grade. Most of these systems also have the fan in the basement. Studies have shown that re-entry is a serious risk. If a window would be opened, or if someone is in that area they could be exposed to very high concentrations.
Even if the vent pipe is at 10-feet from grade, it might not be right. I have seen homes where the vent is 10-feet off the ground, but there is a window within 10-feet of it, or even right above it on a second floor. Re-entry could still happen in this case.
The photo on the left illustrates another type of improper venting of a Radon system. This set-up is dangerous because Radon gas would be vented directly over the head of anyone standing on the deck. You should treat the deck as the ground. The vent should be 10′ above it. Why the installer did it this way is beyond reason. They could have gone straight up from the fan and above the roof. We ended up dismantling the whole system and re-installing it.
At Radon Specialists of Wisconsin, our mission is to provide the absolute best quality work at the best possible price thereby eliminating the chance of Lung Cancer due to Radon exposure to the largest number of people. We take our work seriously because your health is at stake. Learn more about how we do business here.